Adaptive metaheuristic algorithms
The research topic is carried out within a group under the supervision of Prof. Robert Schaefer. It encompasses the creation and analysis of algorithms that are capable of adapting to a solved problem, a computational environment, and user requirements. The primary goal of algorithm adaptation is to minimize the cost of obtaining a solution and/or the possibility of achieving a computationally problem solution that was previously unattainable. Our methodology draws from classical mathematics, operations research, and linguistic mechanisms while combining them with artificial intelligence algorithms (memetic algorithms and agent systems).
In particular, the research includes hybrid algorithms of hierarchical memetic searches with extensive AI post-processing (clustering, multi-winner search method). We apply them to solve challenging inverse problems that are related to the search for oil, the diagnosis of cancer, etc.
Keywords: adaptive algorithms, stochastic algorithms, memetic algorithms, solving ill-posed problems, finite element method
Key publications related to research area:
1. Jakub Sawicki, Marcin Łoś, Maciej Smołka, Robert Schaefer, Julen Álvarez-Aramberri; Approximating landscape insensitivity regions in solving ill-conditioned inverse problems. Memetic Computing, Vol. 10, pp. 279-289, DOI: 10.1007/s12293-018-0258-5
2. Faliszewski P., Sawicki J., Schaefer R., Smołka M.; Multiwinner Voting in Genetic Algorithms. IEEE Intelligent System, Vol. 32, Issue 1, pp. 40-48, IEEE Computer Society 2017, DOI: 10.1109/MIS.2017.5
3. Smołka M., Gajda-Zagórska E., Schaefer R., Paszyński M., Pardo D.; A hybrid method for inversion of 3D AC logging measurements, Applied Soft Computing, 2015, Vol. 36, pp. 422–456, DOI: 10.1016/j.asoc.2015.06.055
4. Gajda-Zagórska E., Schaefer R., Smołka M., Paszyński M., Pardo D.; A hybrid method for inversion of 3D DC logging measurements, Natural Computing, Vol. 14, Issue 3, Springer 2015, pp. 355-374, DOI:10.1007/s11047-014-9440-y
5. Smołka M., Schaefer R., Paszyński M., Pardo D., Álvarez-Aramberri J., Agent-oriented hierarchic strategy for solving inverse problems, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, 2015, Vol. 25 no. 3, s. 483–498, DOI:10.1515/amcs-2015-0036